Senior Writer – New York
Hedge Fund Alert, founded in 2000, is a top provider of exclusive news about the hedge fund industry. We cover fund strategies, returns, launches, closures, service providers, institutional investors, seeding arrangements, regulatory developments, lawsuits and novel ideas and technologies. We also alert subscribers to questionable characters and behavior, including subtle misrepresentations of returns. One recent story unmasked a service provider with a history of arrests and fraud claims. Our data-driven projects offer a high-level view of industry and financial trends. Every story we write is a scoop, providing actionable intelligence for a wide range of sophisticated readers. HFA is published weekly in a newsletter format. Our staff includes investigative reporters, longtime financial journalists and recipients of the Pulitzer Prize.
We’re seeking an experienced reporter with a proven track record of generating exclusive stories. We prize intellectual curiosity, the ability to build and maintain a network of sources and the wherewithal to confirm information when the subjects of stories won’t cooperate. The senior writer must be willing to collaborate with colleagues on stories, projects and special issues. The drive to get stories ahead of competitors is vital.
- Writing three to four stories per week, at least one of which should be worthy of the front page. We dial back the number of stories when a reporter is working on a longer-term project or a particularly complicated piece.
- Contributing two to three short items per week to our Grapevine column, which documents people moves from firm to firm.
- Coming up with ideas for trend pieces and big-picture stories and presenting those ideas in meetings, then executing on them with feedback from colleagues.
- Considering ways we might adjust our coverage to be as vital as possible to our readers.
- Occasionally traveling for major hedge fund conferences.
- Extensive experience at a newspaper or niche financial publication. While knowledge of the hedge fund industry is preferred, it’s not required. We look for the best reporters, period, and train them.
- A knack for making and maintaining high-value sources, including hedge fund managers, decision-makers at endowments and other institutional investors, prime-brokerage staffers who have access to a wide range of hedge fund plans, service providers who work with managers, fund-seeding professionals and fund-of-funds operators.
- Self-motivation. At HFA, stories will typically not be assigned to you. You must go out and find them.
- The ability to write clearly and succinctly.
- A desire to continually learn – and ultimately master complex subject matter.
- A collaborative spirit.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on actual or perceived race, age, sex or gender (including pregnancy), marital status, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, mental or physical disability, religion, creed, color, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression (including transgender status), veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
How to Apply
Email Jobs@Pageantmedia.com with your CV and cover letter