HFM US Investment Journalist – California/New York
Leading hedge fund news and data provider HFM is looking to expand its global team of award-winning journalists with a new hire in its New York office.
We are looking for a bright and confident senior journalist to cover the North American investment beat, reporting on investor trends and mandates, from private wealth to public pensions, as well as the asset-raising and investor relations functions of hedge funds. Capital-raising and capital retention are two of the industry’s biggest challenges, and our coverage aims to provide actionable insights to our readers on these topics.
The successful candidate will be expected to deliver at least one investor/IR-related news story per day to the HFM newsdesk and will also contribute to our broader hedge fund business intelligence output in one of the most dynamic and interesting parts of the financial world.
They will be required to cultivate a large contact book of helpful sources among investors and hedge fund professionals to help deliver off-diary stories, be first with significant allocations and redemptions, and pitch insightful, data-driven analysis ideas to editors.
The successful candidate will work as part of our 18-strong team of hedge fund journalists across our London, New York and Hong Kong offices, and will liaise closely with our FundMap investor database team, based in Cardiff, Wales.
The role will also involve covering numerous networking events and industry conferences throughout the year, providing plenty of opportunities to travel and learn about the industry.
This role would suit a self-starter who would rather be out meeting sources, pestering contacts on the phone, or sifting through investor documents for leads, rather waiting for press releases to roll in (they won’t).
Applicants should have at least two years of journalism experience, preferably with business or finance publications, or strong work experience and qualifications, and display the hunger and drive required to be successful in this role.
The journalist will be based in Pageant Media’s new contemporary office in Madison Avenue, midtown Manhattan, or posted to California.
• Write daily news articles and break off-diary stories
• Pitch and write insightful, data-driven analysis pieces
• Liaise with our team in Cardiff on reporting on and analysing investor mandates
• Build and maintain a contact book of senior professionals in the North American hedge fund and investor community
• Moderate industry panel discussions where required and work alongside events and marketing staff on HFM’s range of briefings, conferences and summits around the world
• At least two years’ journalism experience, preferably with another business or finance publication
• Strong communication, organisational and time management skills
• A journalism degree and/or professional training preferable, but not essential
• An interest in and some knowledge of the hedge fund industry would also be advantageous
How to Apply
To apply for this role, please send a CV and covering letter to Matt Smith: email@example.com